“The search for wisdom is a great challenge; to act on wisdom is an even greater challenge.” (Siddhaswarupananda)
Ruth and I have completed an arduous yet exhilarating tour of Kerala and Tamil Nadu regions in South India. During the 20+ hour flights home to Miami, I read an article stating that it’s best for tourists these days to travel conservatively. Following such reasoning, one should be wary of traveling to new places on their own and also limit their visits to well established tourist sites home and abroad. In this era of virus pandemics,religious extremism, and nationalistic fervor, such an argument to minimize travel risk today certainly seems very enticing.
Yet we have no regrets for following our free wandering instincts in South India. For by embracing those “off the “beaten track” moments of unfamiliar culture, food, and religion during the past sixteen days in this strangely sublime country, ten spiritual essentials described below seem clearer to me now.
1. Try meditation for myself not to please others.
2. Embrace the temporary moment of everything that surrounds me. For all must pass.
3.Displaying greater compassion for others will inspire me to find authentic spiritual moments.
4. I cannot seek spirituality. It will find me!
5. Spirituality cannot be bought or sold with my money or physical possessions.
6. Say it, sing it, dance it, or be silent with a spiritual idea. It’s all good.
7. An iPhone or WiFi connection can be a serious impediment to my sustained inner reflection.
8. Divide or unite. I must make that spiritual choice.
9. Be kind to animals to enhance my own soul.
10.Be creative in setting up my own spiritual shrine. I don’t always need a church, mosque, or temple to feed my inner soul.
I want to give special thanks to our Gate 1 tour guide Raj, who encouraged us to be free and daring on our 16 day, South India tour. I invite you to check into more blogging snippets of our South India adventure in the coming days.
How might the following photographs from our South India tour inspire you spiritually?